When you love what you do, it doesn't feel like work.
I love to help brides look and feel simply radiant. That is my passion – my lifelong passion.
I have been mesmerized with brides since I was a little girl. To me they were as close as I could get to a princess, and I couldn’t wait until my own wedding day. When my older sister got married, I remember being enthralled watching the makeup artist transform her into a glamourous bride, and I knew then that I wanted to become a professional makeup artist. Even though my parents expected me to pursue a more traditional career, I insisted I could create a business out of my passion. They could not deny my entrepreneurial spirit, which was modeled after their own, and they chose to support my dream.
I founded Sharon Rai Hair & Makeup Artistry in 2008 with a single goal: to provide luxury on-location and in-studio hair and makeup experiences for brides. With this single-minded focus, I have earned my reputation as Canada's premier bridal hair & makeup artist.
I have achieved this distinction as a master stylist through my commitment to excellence in every aspect of my business including:
- Unparalleled dedication to creating an unforgettable experience for both Western and South Asian Brides;
- All-inclusive luxury packages that take care of all her beauty needs from the moment she says “I will” to the moment she says “I do”;
- Creating a signature line of luxury clip-in hair extensions, false lashes and accessories to enhance the all-inclusive SR Experience
- Attention to detail that ensures every element of her bridal beauty rituals are worry-free: every lash defined, every lock in place, every piece of her bridal outfit secured;
- A pro-active effort to think of everything so she doesn’t have to. I position myself as an “honourary bridesmaid”, assisting with everything from dressing and styling the bride, groom and bridal party members from head to toe, to thoughtful touches and necessary errands that make the day run smoothly;
- Meticulous planning and preparation to make sure the Bride feels completely pampered and unrushed throughout her wedding events;
- Honouring the rich traditions of South Asian weddings, including experience in all beauty rituals, detailed dressing techniques like proper draping of dupattas and securing of saris, and being fluent in Punjabi;
- Continuous education to keep my creative skills ahead of current beauty trends;
- Honing my technical and creative skills with clients of all skin tones, colours, ethnicities and hair types has positioned me as an expert in the beauty industry
- Building and training a professional team of hair and makeup experts who are passionately committed to upholding my impeccable standards.
To my discerning clients I bring a combination of education, experience and expertise in both hair and makeup artistry, as well as business acumen. My professional background includes:
- Achieved a diploma in Business & Marketing Management from BCIT, Vancouver BC;
- Earned top honours as a makeup artistry graduate from Blanche Macdonald Institute, Vancouver BC;
- Achieved accreditation in advanced hair styling from Ray’s Beauty School, Vancouver BC;
- Gained certification in henna artistry from renowned artist Ash Kumar, Vancouver BC;
- Applied customer service and makeup artistry skills as a makeup artist with MAC Cosmetics for five years; a featured artist on the elite MAC Impact team which enhanced my leadership, professional and artistry skills and provided an opportunity to develop training and education skills for new artists;
- Established a professional portfolio of hair and makeup artistry by collaborating with top bridal photographers and other bridal industry experts on high profile media events.
I believe that my dedication to hard work, my commitment to my passion, my attention to detail and my spirited ambition, coupled with my above experience, has enabled me to build a solid brand. Since founding Sharon Rai Hair & Makeup Artistry and devoting myself full-time to building my business and establishing my reputation as the first choice for sophisticated Western and South Asian Brides, my team and I have earned accolades and recognition locally, regionally and nationally:
- Wedluxe Award: 2010 Best Hair & Makeup Artist Winner
- Wedding Industry Experts Awards: 2013 Winners of Best Makeup Artist & Best Hair Designer in Victoria BC
- BC Wedding Awards: 2013 Finalist for Best Wedding Hair in BC
- South Asian Wedding Awards: 2013 Finalist for Best Wedding Makeup in BC
- Vancouver Island Wedding Awards: 2013 Winner of Best Hair Designer on Vancouver Island
- Wedding Industry Experts Award: 2014 Winner of Most Popular Hair & Makeup Service in Victoria BC
- Wedding Industry Experts Award: 2014 Honour Roll Achievement
- Vancouver Island Wedding Awards: 2014 Winner of Best Hair Designer and Finalist for Best Makeup Artist on Vancouver Island
- Professional BC Wedding Awards: 2014 Winner Best Wedding Makeup in BC, Finalist for Best Wedding Hair in BC and Best South Asian Hair & Makeup in BC
- Canadian Wedding Industry Awards: 2014 Winner Best Overall Hairstylist in BC and Winner Best Overall Makeup Artist in BC
- Canadian Wedding Industry Awards: 2014 Winner Best Overall Hairstylist in Canada and Winner Best Overall Makeup Artist in Canada
- Greater Victoria Business Awards: 2015 Finalist for Young Entrepreneur | Sharon Rai
- Wedding Industry Professionals Association Awards: 2015 Winner Hair & Makeup Artist of Excellence
- Vancouver Island Wedding Awards: 2015 Winner of Best Hair Designer and Finalist for Best Makeup Artist on Vancouver Island
- South Asian Wedding Awards: 2015 Winner for Best Wedding Hair in BC and Finalist for Best Wedding Makeup in BC
- South Asian Wedding Awards: 2015 Winner for Best Reception Hair in BC and Finalist for Best Reception Makeup in BC
- Wedding Industry Experts Award: 2015 Winner of Most Popular Hair & Makeup Service in Victoria BC
- Top 20 Under 40 Business Achievement Awards: 2015 Finalist | Sharon Rai
- Greater Victoria Business Awards: 2016 Finalist for Young Entrepreneur | Sharon Rai
- Business Excellence Awards: 2016 Finalist for Entrepreneur of the Year | Sharon Rai
- Wedding Industry Experts Award: 2016 Winner of Most Popular Hair & Makeup Service in Victoria BC
- Vancouver Island Wedding Awards: 2016 Finalist of Best Hair Designer and Finalist for Best Makeup Artist on Vancouver Island
My team’s work has also been featured in a variety of prestige publications and celebrities such as:
In Print: Wedluxe | Weddings in BC | Weddings in Alberta | YAM Magazine | The Wedding Ring | Italian Vogue | String Magazine | See.7 | Niche Magazine | Plaid Magazine | Wedding Affair | Epicure | Real Weddings | Lavish Dulhan | Open Road | Good Times Magazine | The Wedding Ring | For Women First | Ageless Living
Online: The Weddings Chicks | Style Me Pretty | Storyboard Wedding | Trendy Bride | Modern Rani | Elizabeth Anne Designs | Wedding Loft | Wedluxe | Lavish Dulhan | Vale & Vine| Be Minked | Weddings in Alberta Inspiration Room | Artfully Wed
TV: CBC | Chek TV | Shaw TV | BC Hydro
Celebrities: Tosco Reno | Kurt Browning | Tracey Wilson | Scott Russell | Rio 2016 Olympic Athletes | Peter Mansbridge | Katie Nicholl
My team has contributed to a variety of Charitable Organizations such as:
Charities: Port Alberni Women's Transition House | Our Place | Cool Aid Society | BC Children's Hospital | Victoria Women's Transition House | Juvenile Diabetes Research | BC Cancer Foundation | Habitat for Humanity | Soroptimist International of Victoria Westshore | Syrian Refugee Group | Victoria Hospice
Our Community and Industry Commitments continue to grow and develop, my team participates in a variety of organizations such as:
Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce | Victoria Women of Weddings | Wedluxe Glitterati Member | Victoria Wedding Collective | Westshore Women's Business Network
As my business continues to grow by adding more exceptional talent to my team and expanding into other markets, my mission is to replicate the extraordinary luxury experience my bridal clients have come to expect from Sharon Rai Hair & Makeup Artistry. Every SR Bride is destined to look and feel simply radiant, and to receive an unforgettable experience with every beauty ritual leading up to her big moment.
Women of Weddings
In 2012, I founded Victoria Women of Weddings (WoW) to bring together the luxury bridal businesses in Victoria. I recognized that general interest networking groups didn’t provide the direct referrals on which bridal businesses rely, so I envisioned an organization that enabled business owners who specialized in serving bridal clients to meet regularly to get to know one another, showcase our services and products, learn new business skills and industry trends, share experiences and best practices, and generate referral business for one another.